GENERAL RESPONSIBILITY OF A SESSION CHAIR:
- Introduce the session, and then each author/paper-title before the video playback;
- Take chat questions from Q&A panel during the presentation playback;
- Read the questions to the presenting author during the Q&A period with absolutely no delay on the allocated Q&A slots;
- Conclude the session and check attendance;
- Make sure the time is not violated (very important!!!!)
DETAILED GUIDELINES FOR SESSION CHAIRS
All conference sessions and other virtual meet-up opportunities are organised through Whova and Zoom. Please visit Guidelines for Participants to get help on how to set up Whova and Zoom for conference participation.
In these guidelines, we will only be describing what you should be doing as a session chair (assuming that you have set up Whova and Zoom).
BEFORE A SESSION:
- Before the conference, please browse the details of your designated session (e.g., paper titles, order of presentations, speakers, etc.). In Whova App, we have created a speaker's bio for each paper.
- The presentation videos are collected from the presenters. They will be ready to be played by one of our student volunteers who will be helping you throughout your session.
- Please make sure to have the presenters’ vitas noted (printed, perhaps) somewhere to introduce them timely before each presentation.
HOW TO FIND and JOIN THE SESSION YOU ARE PRESENTING:
- Your presentation session schedule will appear on Whova. Please note the time of your designated presentation session (e.g., add to your Whova Agenda).
- Please follow the “Accessing a Live Session” instructions under the guideline for participants to join the Zoom meeting designated for your session.
- Please join at least 5 minutes before your designated session slot
DURING THE SESSION:
- Please join the session at least 10 minute in advance. The student volunteer for your session will make you a panelist for the session so you can speak. please test your microphone once joined so that the session can start on time.
- We recommend that you turn on your video to engage the attendees during the sessional introduction.
- After introducing the session and the first presenter, we recommend you turn off the video so that the attendees can focus on the talk video.
SESSION CHAIR RESPONSIBILITY Q&A:
- As organizers, we would like to ensure a smooth and productive virtual conference.
- During the video playback, please keep track of the questions on the Chat panel on the right side of the session page.
- After the video playback, the student volunteer will unmute the presenter. To start a Q/A session, unmute yourself and please make sure to ask orally the questions and according to the FIFO time they were first submitted. If there are not many questions, feel free to ask some of your own.
- Sometimes the audience may need to clarify their question. In that case, it is upon the discretion of the Session Chair to unmute the attendee who placed the question to make clarifications (the student volunteer can do this for you).
- Please be mindful of the Q&A time limits! We cannot introduce delays on the predetermined slots of each session, it will push other sessions behind.
- Please direct the unanswered questions to the Session Q/A in Whova App for follow up discussions. The Session Q/A will be open for all sessions throughout the conference.
Finally, you may find this additional information on the role of session chair (prepared by IEEE ComSOC) helpful. Please click HERE to view additional information.
Conferencing, online and in-person can be exhausting! We need to take breaks. We will take breaks. Breaks are built-in to the schedule!
- Stand up and stretch, get a snack, come back refreshed!
- If you leave Zoom on, make sure that your microphone is muted during the break.